Skip to main content

Ghosts Of Christmas Past

I have moved from one place or another far too often in the past decade. It is what I signed up for, I guess, when I decided to come to Kitschland to join the family.  I have attempted to escape to Northlandia a couple times but I have been found and dragged back to the Scrub State. In a year or so I will be free from my babysitting commitment and hope to rejoin my heart, on a more or less semi-permanent basis, which resides somewhere north of Peoria and South of Moline.  But I digress.

All of that is to say that in various moves and the Great Flood of North Henderson I have lost many items that I collected whilst journeying through life.  I seem to have lost a wooden Seaton Wolves token that belonged to my father.  Most recently I noticed in going through my boxes that I have lost, or misplaced, my Master's Thesis.  Neighbor Tim wanted to read it a while back, the only person who ever asked, and darned if I can find it anywhere.  


Ultimately these things are only important to me - they represent milestones or at the very least historical markers.  The wooden token may be one of the last to exist to represent a school that no longer exists and graduates who may number in the teens at this point, if that.  The thesis is a document that I worked on for 9 months - it was the final hurdle to an education that allowed me to remain in the rarefied bubble for another couple years.  















In going through everything I own wasn't without some surprises.  One of them is this three-piece tree ornament that, no doubt represented us boys and most likely gave my mother great pleasure.  I don't know if I remember them from when they were newish and actually used or if I have simply come across them from time to time and they only seem like something I recall.  Either way, these little gems, so very 50's are today's Flashback remembrance for this next to last Friday before Christmas.

I seem to recall that they were not, actually, used on any of the trees we had, but decorations placed somewhere wither on a planter bookcase they had or maybe on the mantel.  Perhaps one of the other boys have some idea.  If so I will let you know on the next Tuesday Tidbit.   

We are the only creatures on earth who try to reconcile the past while navigating the future with our eyes on an unsure future.  Handling all three worlds makes us pretty damn unique.  We also tend to be curators for historical artifacts.  These artifacts are part of our familial museum and that comes with responsibility.  It is a responsibility that comes with age, as members depart.  

I have begun to take these artifacts and place them in baggies with as much information I can for the next curators after I am gone.  I still have a key to the front door of the Mary Davis Home.  It is bagged and explained.  I also have a tag that was attached to a high school biology frog that is explained.  Other items, small and large, easily explained and not, will be properly explained to my kids when they go through them.  And these little guys pictured above, after their seasonal appearance will be placed in a safe box and explained as well.  It is a duty, and a responsibility. 

Just in time for new year resolutions.    




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant