Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



Dear:  Papa  I'm sorry that Ayla was being bad today and Ayla threw brown paper on the floor (sic) and the markers




happy holiday!



Alfred isn't the easiest kid in the world to babysit.  Norah was.  All she wanted to do was cuddle up and watch cartoons with me,  We would go exploring and wanted to please me, so she was very receptive to directives.  Alfred, however, is blazing a different path - she isn't interested in Toy Story, feels cuddling is for losers, and is hellbent on exploring, but not so sure about following orders.  Its why I'm ditching this gig at my earliest opportunity.  But I digress. 

After a somewhat contentious day of sitting, that didn't entail much of that, Norah, bless her huge heart, wrote this note for me.   I was amused at her little note on the back.


++++++++++



The Sinkhole Estates is blessed with one of those heated pools, so Norah and I went swimming on Friday morning.  The joy of it all a week from Christmas was somewhat muted by the rather extensive list of rules hanging up 2 places.  Also hanging on the wall, in case you weren't sure, was another sign saying these rules are enforced.  Another sign next to it said something like follow the rules on all the signs.  These people take their rules seriously.  Too seriously.  Thirteen rules (14 if you include the no diving or jumping rule) are about 10 more than necessary, don't you think?  My three would be:  Have fun, Be safe and Come back.


++++++++++




This was my first Tesla sighting.  Good looking car, but still a derivative of today's styling template.  Go to the Tesla website and you will discover that the Model S, like this one, is roughly $120,000.    

++++++++++

Because of last week's Trump Administration FCC rejection of "net neutrality" rules, the end of Existing In BFE may have been sealed.  The new rules, if the courts allow, will allow the big moneyed guys to determine what sites stay on the web, get the fast or slow lanes for viewers, and are bough out or wither on the vine.  My understanding is it now creates 2 internets - with the big corporations determining what other fish get to swim in the sea.  Once again the small guys get screwed.  If the Blogger sites get turned into a second-class, or if Blogger is squeezed out, or if they raise my monthly rates, I will terminate the site.  


++++++++++ 


If you were wondering about my review of Birdie's Tap something came up and will be postponed until this week. 


++++++++++



The Cabin in the Woods has the generator fired up and we are doing our part to bring the warmth of Christmas to the forest.  We have a winter's worth of wood piled up and the pot-bellied stove is is about to play its part in holiday baking.  Of course, this is all in my head, since I am in the worst possible place for Christmas.  Kitschland engenders nothing traditional about the Holidays.  Lighted palm fronds, my ass.   


But fear not.  Even now I am plotting my escape.  Once Alfred starts pre-school...

The plan is being polished.   



++++++++++



Noticed I haven't done anything political in a while?  I'm either fatigued or simply overcome by the incessant inanity.  I do feel sorry for what was once America, or at least the America I had in my head.



++++++++++



++++++++++

Mercedes Benz has four "e's" that all sound different.  Same with the three "a's" in Australia.

++++++++++

Adventures In Babysitting






Wow.  


++++++++++






The Christmas program at Norah's school last week.  She is up there somewhere.  Thought it was all OK till the singing teacher got up to do a solo.  (Take the B,N, and E away from BEGONE.)    

++++++++++

This is the schedule for the next couple weeks.  We will be taking next Monday through Friday off because of Christmas.  However, so as not to leave you totally high and dry, I'll post a couple of Holiday related pictures I have come across that I find appealing.  We'll also take Monday off because of New Year's, and then fire back into it again on Tuesday the 2nd.  


++++++++++

You all know I love my Pathfinder.  Yeah, its old.  Yeah, its high miles, but in the 14 months I've had the thing I have only put on 2800 miles.  Those miles have been generally fun, thus the Fun Bus!, hauling the kinfolk around, which was its purpose.   However, it needed a new "cam sensor" and for about $XXX.  Then I took it in to get a flat tire plugged, but found out all 4 tires had dry rot and both brakes needed replaced for $XXXX.  OK, shouldn't that 85 point safety check for all used vehicles have found something when I first bought it?  

After placing a not-so-pleasant review in the dealership comment area, I received a phone call from a customer service rep.  She told me they don't want to lose me as a "family member" and might be able to help me out.  She said she'd talk to whoever, and get back.  Stay tuned.


++++++++++  

Is it just me or are others a bit perplexed about the future of autonomous driving autos?  How will motorcycles and old show cars fit into the equation?  I fear it is going to happen sooner rather than later.  I'm sure I won't be around when they implement it all but it is closer than you think. 

++++++++++



Sunday morning I had breakfast at Sunset Grill in St. Pete.  My coffee ended up being this.  I think I should start everyday this way. 

++++++++++

The tax bill is disliked by a 2-1 margin.  Isn't that taxation without representation?

  ++++++++++

In the "Woe Is Me" department, I saw on the early morning news that every square inch of the U.S. is chilly or downright freezing.  Everyone except Florida.  It's going to be 82 today.  Reason #2,037 why I hate Kitschland. 

Oh, well, I always have Yule Logs on Netflix.

Comments

  1. “Have fun, be Safe, and Come Back.” Good Rules. I like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant