Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits





Thanksgiving isn't for everyone in the U.S.  For Native Americans it is a day of mourning.  


++++++++++



Today is Bug Sex Day in Kitschland.

Saw these guys the other day not too far from my present place of incarceration, Sinkhole Estates, and decided that Bug Sex Day was worthy of promoting.  I will be filing official documents and sending them to Tallahassee in hopes of a more formal recognition for next year.  My hope is to eventually expand it to humans, as well.  Perhaps maybe even making it a national holiday, along side Ground Hog Day, maybe.   

+++++++




Saw this truck on East Bay Drive last week.  I'm no gun expert but that looks to be an assault rifle as part of the logo of this happily upfront gun-totin' fellow from Oregon.  I'm no hater of guns as I understand the pleasure they provide for hunters, collectors and target shooters.  But I am most definitely opposed to assault weapons: you don't assault deer or shooting range targets.  Keep them for our military.  There are changing social mores as well.  Just like the display of the Confederate flag has become uneasy at best, so is the glorification of the gun of choice for mass murderers.      
++++++++++



This strange and wonderful looking concoction is a cotton candy rolled ice cream treat from Iceberg in downtown St Pete.  The owner is Miss Norah who, gamely, devoured the whole thing. 



++++++++++

As the sexual harassment cultural renovation project sweeps the country my first thought was Lord Acton's famous quote "All power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."  These incidents are driven by power, after all, not sex.  But then I began thinking that that doesn't really tell the whole story.  Absolute power doesn't always corrupt absolutely.  Absolute power is more a prism that reveals the true nature of the individual.  I can site you many people who have enjoyed power and absolute power who have used that as a springboard for good.  Bill Gates has used his power to give away 72 billion dollars to charitable endeavors.  In fact, on Forbes 10 most powerful people list for 2017 there was only one person who has been accused of sexual harassment.  Yeah, that would be the President of the United States. 



++++++++++  




I hope you have had your morning mush and grits and ready for something a bit on the gross side.  If your first instinct that this item is a frayed cord or frayed snake, your second guess would be the correct one.  This was found in the garage of Mackenzie's home after a thorough thrashing by their cat.  Species unknown.  But the damn cat is still alive.

++++++++++



The Cabin in the Woods has been decorated for the holidays.  Come on snow.  By the way, tickets have been purchased for February.  When I used to say "I can't wait" when I was a kid my droll mother would always reply, "Well, you'll have to."



++++++++++

I recently saw Marlo Thomas on one of those St. Jude hospital guiltmercials.  Looks to me like she has had so much work done on her face she can't hardly speak.  Wiki says she's 80.  Looks great,  though.  


++++++++++




While shopping with the crew on Saturday I took a break and had a seat on the bench.  There was a lady who was sitting there also but she wasn't sitting at the edge, but in a foot or so.  I didn't think all that much about it, but then Norah comes over and sits with me.  Now they are leg to leg but still the b^%$h won't move.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm up to my eyeballs with the spirit of Christmas but these damn people are driving me nuts. 

++++++++++




Adventures In Babysitting

While on a stroll last Friday as part of my job as a daycare provider, a job by the way, that is getting more tenuous with each passing day, I put the top up to keep the sun from little Alfred.  I kept[hearing things but continued on as passersby would stop and look and say hi.  What I didn't know was she decided to take sips of milk out of her cup and then spit it into the cupholder.   I kid you not: My dream is to drive a truck at the Grind.  I'd do it for free.  I can feel the end of the rope!

++++++++++





While back in Northlandia I received a text from a friend in Tybee Island, Ga. He told me that while watching Savannah TV news they had a feature on the post office situation in Seaton, my old hometown.   Its not often Seaton makes the news, and hardly ever in a good way these days.  As you will note after watching the video, Seaton is pretty low on the USPS ladder of things that must be fixed.  I kind of wondered why they don't erect one of those apartment-style mailbox towers for the village residents and be done with it.  And like my friend said, it must have been a slow news day in Savannah.

Here, old hometown, old bank, and hardware store, and restaurant, elevator, McKnight Trucking, Bill's Texaco, Stan's, and Sim's grocery, this is my gift to better days and a better post office.

     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant