Skip to main content

All 14 Minutes of Taxi and Sequel



I'm not much into music.  A lot of it bores me.  Maybe all the years I sat in a lawn chair listening to oldies at car shows, but I swear, if I hear "Hotel California" one more my head will explode.  Seems nowadays I'd rather listen to talk radio that hear a song I've hear 35,000 times.  And the all time worst song I've ever heard is "The Joker" by the Steve Miller Band.  Hell, don't kick out the  immigrants - send Miller to Bangladesh and ban that song if you want to help America.  And he's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Should be in a gulag somewhere.

But when I do need some music, my default setting in times of emotional stress is way, way back to Harry Chapin.  I've written a great deal about him through the years on this blog.  It was one of the things my college GF, Pam from New Joisy, gave me.  

I was at her apartment one summer in Muscatine and she put on some music.  It turned out to be Harry's Verities and Balderdash and it was intriguing.  Turned out I'd get another album later and he became my number one guy.  A folk writer who didn't just put words to musical notes, he told stories. 

I'd end up with all his albums, see him once in concert and literally cried that afternoon when news broke he'd died in a car crash.  I don't really know if he has a following anymore, his music sounds a little too quaint and homey for the modern listener.  He was not only a hell of a songwriter and performer, but he also gave away his money and did free concerts all the time to promote the plight of World Hunger.  

Today I was feeling a bit introspective and mortal.  In the space of one week I learned of the deaths of 4 friends/acquaintances.  That kind of week will turn you inward.  Listen, if you will, to Harry's double lament to time and choices we make.  

His first number one song was Taxi and he followed that up many years later revisiting those guys, Harry and Sue, with Sequel.           






It's going to tell you the video doesn't exist, but push the Watch this video on YouTube line.  Wait for the Skip Ad line, and push it, too.  Now, close your eyes and listen.








First loves.  Lost loves.  Oh, Harry,  

"I guess it's a sequel to our story
From the journey 'tween heaven and hell
With half the time thinking of what might have been
and half thinkin' just as well
I guess only time will tell"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant