Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits




++++++++++

Why is it when you toss something in the wastebasket from only inches away, it never goes in?


++++++++++





++++++++++



When lawn care guys don't give a shit about the flowers.




++++++++++






++++++++++



This is at Datsko Park where Whizzbang aka Dumbstruck the Wonder Pup and I go every morning.  Seems obvious and yet ironic to have a "No Dumping" sign and a dog poop dispenser next to each other. 



++++++++++

There was a time when style was paramount to function.  








From semi's to...



...lawn mowers.

There was a time when styling seemed to trump (eww) mechanics.  The cars of the sixties had great styling but tended to rust out, have a mileage limit of 100,000 miles and lacked safety features.  Today its not uncommon for cars to go forever and the safety of them are unquestioned.  But they certainly lack style.  I want fins!


++++++++++




I don't do comedies.  The main reason is they are usually geared toward a junior high level of writing.  I have two comedies in my small DVD collection:  smart, intelligent The Ladykillers with Tom Hanks and The Birdcage with Gene Hackman.  I hope someday to have the complete set of Three Stooges.  

As I was scanning reviews to find movies to put in my Netflix queue, I saw a comedy with an 88% Rotten Tomatoes score.  I checked with Kenzie and Drew who never saw a comedy they didn't like:  very often they start laughing and recall Adam Sandler hijinks.  Because of their wide-net acceptance of most comedies I don't usually take their recommendations too seriously.  But that high RT score is hard to ignore.  Game Night starring Jason Bateman was tempting.  Bateman is someone I have recently discovered through his Ozark series and I like him. 

I gave it a try and I recommend you see it too.  It was very good, very funny, and the stars and supporting cast were excellent.  This time, Kenze and Drew were right.  


++++++++++

   Jesus Christ, fellow Americans, what is happening to our country?  

It should be reason over passion, 
nation over party.

But, noooooooooooo.


++++++++++  




I just finished my 17th year playing fantasy baseball.  I was in three leagues this summer and I came in 1st in all three.  That leads me to surmise that I am the greatest fantasy manager in all history!  


++++++++++



++++++++++




In 2007, a Bowhead whale was discovered with the end of a harpoon left embedded in its neck from a previous hunt. It was found that the harpoon tip was originally manufactured in 1890, indicating the whale had survived a human attack more than a century ago.


++++++++++

A couple of weeks ago we went to a flea market in Oldsmar.  There was a crudely made plywood box in one of the hallways.  On the box was written "Swamp Cat".  






This is Norah and her father checking it out.






This is Norah getting solace after the opening.


++++++++++

Last minute add:  got home from St. Pete on Sunday and saw a black racer snake trying to eat one of Whizzy's geckos out by the downspout.  I was too emotionally immobilized to get my phone camera out to record the incident.  It then slithered slimily under the house.  It is now for sale.  For you PETA lovers, the snake let go of the gecko and it an off.  

I hate snakes.

++++++++++

It doesn't happen often this time of year but at 5:35 pm ET (4:35 CT) yesterday the temperature in Aledo and Clearwater were the same.  It was 81 degrees in both places.  I have a lot of spare time on my hands.

++++++++++ 


Be an informed voter this year.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant