Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



++++++++++







++++++++++






I don't remember now if it was Craigslist or Ebay that I ran across this great looking Kawasaki 90 last week.  Why is this so special?  It was my first bike.  Marj and Herb finally acquiesced after months of pleading to get me this wonderful little bike back in the day.  In a lifetime of "firsts", this bike made me a rider of motorcycles that has continued to today. 

It was for sale for $1600 which is a very reasonable cost and had it been closer to Northlandia or Kitschland, I would seriously have considered buying it.  Unfortunately it was in the Northwest somewhere and the shipping costs would have been equal, maybe, to the cost itself.  Too bad.

One side note that I'm sure I've mentioned before.  On the first day I took the bike up to the school and did some Evel Kneivel stunts in the ditch resulting in a broken taillight.  First day!  Now that's breaking it in.

++++++++++ 






++++++++++




++++++++++




An interesting take on a lime green Jeep I saw in Oldsmar last week.  This is a 4-door version of the Wombie's Jeep in Emerald City.


++++++++++

I don't know a thing about architecture.  I know it when I like it, though.  One of my pet peeves in  suburban architecture is the "mooning" designs that seem to have swept modern building.  There was a time when the front of a house was the part best seen by the world.  Sometimes they even hid the garage area behind the house or off to the side to minimize it.  The garage was not the thing to be seen.     





But that seems to have changed.  Nowadays we put the old ass end right out there in the front.  These two houses were taken from local listing in Aledo, Illinois.  Look how the living quarters has recessed behind the garage.  Pull into the drive and we have a garage.  So much for curb appeal.

++++++++++


January 27th, hundreds of metal shoes are placed on the banks of the River Danube in Hungary to mark the slaughter of hundreds of Jewish people who were ordered to place their shoes on the bank before being shot and pushed in the river by Hungarian militiamen. A terrible and poignant reminder of the atrocities committed in WWII.




++++++++++

I wonder what most funeral directors prefer for themselves:  burial or cremation?

Why is it always "badgering the witness"?  Why can't it be harassing, or haranguing, or any other number of adjectives?  



++++++++++


++++++++++




So, Whizzbang, aka, Dumbstruck the Wonder Pup has completed her third week of Basic Obedience Training.  She, out of a class of 8, remains the only dog to poop on the training floor in mid-exercise.  And this she has done two weeks in a row.  This is no longer a incident but a trend.  She is able to "heel", more or less.  She can "sit", kind of.  She can lay "down" on command, sort of.  She doesn't "stay" very well but she is a work in progress.  Her best ability at this point appears to be "defecation", a trick no other participant seems able to do.

It is nerve-wracking business.  We are given orders by our instructor (she looks to be an old Gestapo women's guard, but is nice enough) and she then goes around to critique her/our performance.  Next week we might defecate simultaneously.

++++++++++
         




1968 commercial they did for laughs but never aired.



++++++++++



++++++++++



Now this was fun.  I check out a bunch of blogs weekly that have interesting pictures or memes or have something to say.  On one of them I spotted this.  Okay, I get the musical reference but then I noticed it was from one of the Quad City channels.  How cool is that?

++++++++++

Oh, and I was soooo close to a trip up North but it was snatched from my hands. 

++++++++++

I leave you with a short video of my client at Papa's Daycare at ice cream time.  The set up:  A guy named Mike from Emerald City and I share grandkid stories and their love of Paw Patrol.  

   




Till next week, and Hi, Mike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant