Skip to main content

We Are Back

We have returned from Northlandia and a two week break and ready to fire it back on all cylinders right through to, well, who the hell knows.  I was going to write Spring but its presently 48 degrees out here in Kitschland and just twice as cold up North.  Spring will arrive.  And when it does, it won't be worth it down here - sweltering comes to mind.  

So what is new?  Northlandia was wonderful, as always.  The Wombie was sick and it was almost too cold to go outside and play.  My picture taking plans were cancelled and after a couple nice gentle snowfalls, the earth became crusty.  Those who live there know what I mean as well as those who have moved away.  

I did something on my flight up that I have never done before:  bought a snack.  This was indicative of my giddyness for removing myself from this blasted overcrowded furnace of a state.  And then on the flight back I went paperless for the boarding pass.  Old dogs, new tricks come to mind - but actually, I'm a rebel to my habits and like changing up things - pushing the envelope, introvert though I am.  Announcement:  playing it safe is safe.  Playing it not so safe is fun. 

Mr. and Mrs. Wombie provided their usual level of outstanding hosting and accommodating.  I tasted the treats of the Midwest: brat burgers and LaGondola Torpedoes and Whitey's.  I had a few beers here and there and took a few pictures, although not as many as I wanted.




Neighbor Tim and I planned a couple bike trips later in the summer and while talking about him, here's a funny story he told.  He was, as you remember, awarded Tech Rep of the Year award at the Sherwin-Williams national conference last month in Orlando.  He told me as the awards were being announced, and he was unaware of his, he noticed some of the brass floating over to his table.  He didn't think much about about it and, ever the jokester, looked around and said, "Who do you have to blow to get one of those?", just as his name was called.  I haven't stopped laughing since.

Breakfast with the girls is always fun, a way to go back to my life of work at the Mary.  We are and will always be connected through a work we mostly loved (it wasn't the pay).  Doing something that was real and important.  How can changing young lives not be?  Our newest member, and one of my all-time favorites, fits perfectly with the old group and can't wait till our next meet.    

While back there I put in an offer for a place, but decided the garage was too crappy so didn't go any higher.  See?  I told you I was heading back.  And speaking of homes, bro Phil sold his and will be moving to Wisconsin, that hotbed of snow and cold. That leaves the Wombie as the only Blythe in the Land of Lincoln.  For now, anyway. 

Back home,  Attila the Hen was spotted by some folks between the apartment complex and Datsko park.  I haven't seen him yet but his legend grows.  Ghost Chicken on the Bay.  





Whizzbang, aka Dumbstruck the Wonder Pup, survived my absence just fine thanks to the current Mrs. Blythe.  She missed her last class of obedience training so no diploma, but I took her shopping and she was pleased to get new toys and treats.  That kind of made up for it.  We have also gone to the Vinoy dog park the past couple of weeks and she thoroughly enjoys a romp with her own kind.   Perhaps a little too submissive and there are those two guys who tried to hump her but its all in good fun.  I think.

I have returned just in time to sit for a couple kids during Spring Break.  If there is such a thing as compensation for going through Hell, then there are 5 or 6 vestal virgins (I'm not greedy), endless Jerry's pizza and dark skies full of the Milky Way in my future heaven.  Can a old husk of a guy become a martyr in any better way than for his grandkids?  

And so we begin again.  Marching into headwinds,  clear-eyed, resolute, strong in the knowledge that better days are ahead.  Thus is life.  This has meaning.  This is our talisman.  

Who do you have to blow to get one of those?  

         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant