Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits


Saw this old postcard on Ebay.  It depicts a trolley or some kind of rail car transport from Sunbeam, Illinois to Seaton, Illinois.  Folks, I'm from Seaton and the only rail-type transport between these two villages is inside the head of whoever concocted this card.  A couple other things.  First, there is no canal, stream or crick that size near either town.  And, second, that wind vane in the distance looks to be about 2 or 3 hundred feet high.  Wind vane's weren't anywhere near that high - 30 feet is closer to it.  Whatever hopes there may have been in 1909 for the future of these two towns, the reality is Seaton is down to a population of about 150 and Sunbeam is nothing more than a church.


++++++++++

     



++++++++++


OK, listen up readers.  We are going to limp into a hiatus for Existing In BFE as we travel to Northlandia.  Friday will be it for a couple of weeks as we enjoy the dark skies, Midwest cuisine, and rumble of cycle engines.  Be good and play nice until I return.  I'll try to make it back online on September 9th.  





++++++++++









++++++++++



There are two things I have been struggling with.  Both somewhat important.  First, I heard again that one of my dearest friends has stopped reading the blog because of politics.  Their problem, of course isn't politics, its their politics.  I know there are others.  As a left-leaning Independent I have a certain feeling for our President and there are weekly reminders to the readers of this feeling.  As a vain writer wanting viewers I have to balance the importance of the future of America with the need for readers.  I have refrained from politics and, frankly, it seems like a neutered, ball-less blog.  But I don't want to be that politico people hate as intractable, radical or crazy.  

Which brings me to struggle number two.  I have been entertaining thoughts of closing this up.  Readership is down and I am putting out less stuff.  It has been a good 10 years and I find my need to blog becoming less and less motivated.  

This blog was started when the family was separated and I wanted to keep them informed.  It also became a place to showcase photos.  Both seem less important these days.  

No decision has yet been made.              





++++++++++









++++++++++

Sunday we received an email from daughter Kenze wanting to know if we wanted to have supper with them at Ford's Garage down the road.  They have the best meatloaf and baked beans and it would give me a chance to check on my former Papa's Daycare clients.  Little did I know it was a retirement party, complete with cake and presents.







+++++++++++



She's going to hate this picture in 10 years. 


++++++++++ 



Shh.  Someone's outside.

Whizzy and Augustus standing watch.


++++++++++




Whizzy napping.


++++++++++

I will be running (!?) in the Rhubarb Days YMCA 5K next June.  Training starts soon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant