Skip to main content

Peace of My Grandaughter's Eye




If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times to my grandkids:  take good care of philosophy and philosophy will take good care of you.  Yeah, they look at me strangely then go on about their bowl of slime and neon food coloring.  

By philosophy I mean having your head straight.  Not always, of course.  Sometimes you need to get your head un-straight, that's the fun of it all.  But generally, yeah, a straight head means healthy outlook which, in turn, means happiness.  My Dad paid Iowa Wesleyan a lot of money so I'd have that gem to share with you today.  That, folks, is philosophy.

Today, I want to present the family's next generation of a straight head.  My buddy, Norah, is an artist, an empath and a philosopher.  The current Mrs. Blythe lost her cat and friend a few months ago.  It lived for 56 years and its only mission in this life was to outlive me.  I hate cats.  Big cats, little cats.  Yellow cats, black cats.  Live cats, dead cats.  Green eggs and ham.  I hate them all.  I owe this kink to my mother who hated them, too.  Thanks, Mom.  

Upon this event in which tears are still shed (not by me, oh, not by me), Miss Norah created an eight page sympathy card.  In it contains all the wisdom of a seven year old child, combined with all the books from all the greatest theologians and philosophers down through the ages.  Take a look and we'll meet, as they say at times like this, on the other side.   







































Well, you may be somewhat speechless.  Perhaps even a little teary-eyed.  There is a lot going on here.  Being a bit of a philosopher myself, I really enjoyed this card/tome/booklet.  

1.  I especially liked the great blue sky and shining sun in the first 4 panels.  The cat has a new home but and everyone has smiles.  But as we know from life experience...

2.  It never ends well.  Everything ends.  The last few panels the color fades - there is much less enthusiasm in the work itself.  

3.  The last panel is stark, colorless, and final.  No blue skies or sunshine, we are individual left with the promise of an end.  Soren Kierkegaard, the Swedish philosopher who wrote of an existential life, couldn't have drawn the last panel any clearer, sharper, and this from a seven year old.  

Norah has her head on straight.  She has learned that life contains many miracles and magic, but she has also learned that there is change as well.  Sometimes that change is tough on us.

Sadly, the current Mrs. Blythe has found another cat.  A kitten she has named Augustus.  I'm positive this one will outlive me.  Sometimes sad endings stay sad.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant