Skip to main content

A Piece Of My Mind





"Scientists indicate that salmon and other types of fish are naturally predisposed to the journey upstream. According to an article in USA Today, scientists state that home odors are embedded in the minds of certain fish. Home odors are smells that are unique to each body of water. When the fish reach maturity and wish to spawn, or reproduce, they are instinctively drawn back to the place of their birth by the home odors." 


Is that why I want to return to Northlandia?  Well, I'm not sure.  I can't smell Illinois from here.  All I smell is recycled water, dog farts and exhaust fumes from Roosevelt Boulevard.  And while every one of my immediate and less immediate family members reside within 15 minutes, the tug of Northlandia is sometimes so strong that only a bowl of ice cream can assuage it.  

My go-to comment whenever this comes up in conversations is that my family is here, but my fun and friends are someplace else.  Perhaps one could replace fun with heart.  And like that damn stupid salmon, my thoughts drift northward to a gentle breeze running its fingers through the endless rows of corn.  To freshly fallen snow that that brings that lovely muted hush.  To roads sparsely travelled by others, where you can drive for miles without meeting another soul.  Where you can truly immerse yourself with yourself.

By the way, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, a Nobel Prize winning author who was exiled from his home in Russia, commented on living in America "by the revolting invasion of commercial advertising, by TV stupor, and by intolerable music."   There probably isn't much any other place can do to replace what is in our heart.  Dumb salmon could easily have a nice peaceful life if they just accepted that pond they are living in.  But, no.  They have to trek hundreds of miles, upstream mind you, against the onslaught of starvation, unknowing dangers, and those damn bears just to get back to where they were hatched.  Solzhenitsyn wouldn't have been happy if he were in Samoa, surrounded by beautiful dancing nubile naked native naifs with a Bloody Mary in one hand, an ice cold beer in the other, all while smoking a Maduro Mild.  


I came across a word that pretty much covers it.  Saudade (so-dada) in the dictionary means:  a feeling of longing, melancholy or nostalgia.  It is Portuguese and defines something you had but don't have anymore.  Exile by self or by someone else is still exile.  Only in that separation can one know saudade.  As I venture up Northward again, like the dumb salmon, and Solzhenitsyn who returned to his Mother Russia, I will no longer suffer from saudade. 

Oh, but those beautiful dancing Samoan ladies.  I could suffer with them. 








 


     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant