Skip to main content

Venus and Mars Flirting

Last month, February 20-21 to be exact, was a pretty interesting couple of days to sky watch.  One of my daily emails from the astronomical site, EarthSky News, informed me that if I looked Westward about 45 minutes after sunset I would see this:




Well, who wouldn't want to see that kind of celestial conjunction?  So I prepped the camera and found the tripod and planned for an evening of "conjunctivitis".  Somewhere between receiving the early morning email and that evening I forgot the plan.  I asked the current Mrs. Blythe if she would like to join me in partaking of Rib City in St. Pete and she said yes.  So off we went, oblivious to the magic that was happening above, until i got out of the car and saw what I was missing.   This is what I was missing:



I scabbed this picture off the internet.  It is not mine.  I wish it was.  Credit goes to a Mr. Andrew Symes who had the good fortune to remember his plan and not be drawn to the best rib joint int he Tampa bay Area.  

OK, so I missed all the galaxial fireworks of the 20th.  Would I be able to remember the 21st and take appropriate action?  Why, yes, than you very much.




Before I show you my gems the next evening, which, by the way won't be in conjunction with the moon, but cool anyway, I thought I would display this graph.  If you could look down on the sun and planets this is how they would appear on the 20th, and to a lesser extent on the 21st.   Earth and the moon are the blue X to the upper left.  Now move straight across and you will see Venus with the feminine Zodiac sign and and moving further across is Mars.  See, almost in a straight line?  Thus a conjunction. 

The problem with a phenomena like this is that one picture pretty much looks like all the rest, so bear with me here.  I am showing a few of the pictures I took with varying degrees of tweaking with my camera.  Its a lot like shooting pictures of a model:  same thing only dressed differently.









As usual, keep looking upward.  We now resume our normal programming.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant