Skip to main content

Day Five - Gib GoSline

Gilbert (Gib) GoSline
1918-2010
Who can fathom the fates? As luck would have it, Janine's father, Gib GoSline died suddenly at home in Burgess on Sunday, September 19th. He lived a long colorful life and was uniquely original. The picture above of Jo and Gib was taken by me just three days before his death and although he was having some health problems, was still active and getting around well. Nancy and Janine have been friends since school days so it was good fortune we were here.
There were many stories swapped the next few evenings in Marvin's garage bar. Obituaries never capture the true life, how could it in two or three short paragraphs? Gib and his wife Josephine, or Jo, who is 90, were practically inseparable. He worked as a drummer in his very early years in places that were similar to back-door speakeasies. Jo was curious about what went on in those places and wanted to go in one. To protect her from such stuff, he quit. Now that is love. In a house they lived in across town he had an in-ground swimming pool put in. Around the pool and the adjoining sidewalk spelled out "Jo" if you could see it from the air. Now that is love. They were ball room dancers and went to all the places back in the old days. She was 15 when they met. Imagine living with someone for 75 years. They used to winter in St. Pete, he had a marina for quite a few years in Rock Island and was expert in tools, designing and making things, and making sure things worked perfectly. He was a man who had his family living close by, and in the case of Janine, Andrea, Richard and their girls, living in the same small community. Josephine is doing well but how do you fill that void after 75 years? Gib just about chased me out of town a few years ago. I was on my bike on a particularly hot summer day. I took off my shirt and had on a wife-beater so my tattoos were easily seen. I rode into town looking for either the Bartons or Thirtyacres for a beer in the bar. I couldn't find them so before leaving I thought I'd put a cigar in Richard's mailbox to let him know I was there. I had left one on Marvin's bar, too. As I was fiddling with the mailbox, Gib comes racing out the door in a kind of hopscotch fashion yelling "Hey, hey, hey" and then "What business do you have in town?" Can't really blame him, with the tats, the heat and my messing around with a mailbox, Gib was just protecting the area. As he got closer he recognized me and we had a nice chat. Speaking of that, he also has three cars: a Cadillac, an Imperial and Lincoln Continental. Like I said, he likes things that work well and there were no better American made cars.
Marvin returned from his fishing trip and Janine and family gathered to mourn the loss of great and fascinating man. Like Gib's dad said before he died, "Isn't it funny how the young ones come in and the old ones go out."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant