Skip to main content

Prime Beef Festival Car Show

We start this week with another car show I attended while up in Northlandia.  It was kind of a funny morning for me.  I had thought I received assurances from Richard and Eddie that they might attend the Monmouth Prime Beef Festival show.  Eddie has a policy that if it is not raining when time to leave, he goes.  Richard has no policy.  

My radar app told me it was clear sailing after raining the day and night before.  The show is usually at the Monmouth Park and since I have so few chances of attending these things while incarcerated in Kitschland (for the moment) I decided to go.  Cooler with soda and sandwich, check.  Lawn chair, check.  Warm clothes (it was brisk out), check.  Miss Frump gassed up and ready to go, check.  

I left Emerald City for G-Burg, where the Frump is stored.  She started right up and off to Monmouth we go.  Past the Gibson Woods golf course we turn right for the Park.  But no one is there.  A truck has followed me since the turn and he yells that the show has been moved to the Legion down the road, right off 34.  The rain caused the move and from what followed a very barren turnout.





I was one of the first cars there so I got the plum spot right by the drive.  The parking lot eventually filled up.

I won't bore you with the usual cars.      

    


Next to me was a regular on the circuit I remembered when I was heavy into this 10 years ago.  Nice guy, Hispanic, and he always wins with this paint job. 





Some folks enjoyed a cookout.





Interesting snack truck was a competitor.  







Some modifications shouldn't be allowed.  For instance this nice 60's Pontiac with a 50's Fire Chief amber emblem underneath a fake air intake cover.  Blasphemous. An abomination.






A good story to go along with a nice car.




Wonder what driving these were like?

Well, Eddie and Richard never showed, but Neighbor Tim did so I wasn't without some company for awhile.  Thanks for dropping by.  It was a long day, made worthwhile also by the nice award I received at the conclusion.  Of course there were only 50 or 60 cars there and they bought enough hardware to take care of 250 cars.  But the Frump will take it nonetheless.





And then it happened.  I was standing there awaiting all the awards to be handed out so I could head back to G-Burg when I heard my name again.  What?  A lady approached with a bucket of cleaning materials and said I had won the longest distance award.  Oh, no!  They thought I had driven the Frump up from Florida.  When I check in you have to give your address and since I have no home or cabin up here (yet) I wrote Clearwater, Florida.  I had obviously won under false pretenses.  Someone from the crowd yelled "Did you drive it or trailer it?"  Everyone was looking so I said I drove it, which is factually true.  I drove it from G-Burg over to Monmouth.  Oh my God!   False pretenses, then a whopper to try to cover it up.  I am not quick on my feet, so I slunk back to the car, bucket in hand with a cloud over my head for eternity, and got the hell out of there.  I don't know if I'll go back next year, but stay tuned.  And now I'll be on Santa's "naughty" list.  Drat!

Oh well, I did have a good day, and Miss Frump (that sounds too close to Trump) always behaves well.  I also had a chance to walk over to the cemetery and visit the graves of my grandparents.  Funny, all the places in the world to be buried and they end up in the same one.  Well, not funny.  Not like a clown funny.  Oh well, I'm putting this post to rest.  Tomorrow is another day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant