Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



How refreshing to see a weeks worth of events that inspired instead of embarrassed.  America needed this - the pomp, the grandeur, the reminding that we are a good, grateful and appreciative nation.  The Bush's took over the headlines and it was damn refreshing.

There were some exceptions, however.




Like the old Irish proverb goes:  "There is no man smaller than the coward at a hero's wake."

And by the way, I know Trumpers want to destroy our institutions but please leave our Presidential sendoffs alone.  They embody all the best we are - good presidents or bad, we give them honor for their service.



++++++++++




As a child care provider, these never get old..


++++++++++



I want to be here.


++++++++++

The more I hear about Facebook, the more I'm happy I bailed.


++++++++++





Allow me to boast for a bit.  Last week, my daughter, who works at Piper Fire down here was awarded this honor at their year-end company get-together.  The Above And Beyond Award also came with a monetary stipend, too.  I understand members of her department hooted and hollered especially loudly when announced.  I couldn't be more proud. 


++++++++++





Its a dog eat dog world.  Or in this case, a bird eat bird world.  Nature is brutal.  As Whizzbang and I were walking to Datsko last Thursday, and as I was on the phone with Wombie, a large bird was being chased by a smaller one.  The smaller one couldn't keep up and gave up the chase as the large on flew to a light stanchion across from the lake and proceeded to have lunch.  I gave Wombie the blow-by-blow.  Weird, huh?  It's a jungle out there.

++++++++++

We have all become used to the acronym LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans) in the last few years.  Most recently it has been expanded to LGBTQ.  The online Free Dictionary explains that the Q stands for Queer/Questioning.  Is Queer OK again now?  If it was objectionable once, why would it be alright now?  Just wondering.



++++++++++ 



Under the "It's a Small World" category.


Norah goes to gymnastics on Monday nights.  While sitting there, Kenzie noticed a lady with this Whitey's Ice Cream drink holder.  Naturally, knowing this is one of my go-to stops while in Northlandia and hoping they expand their franches to West-Central Kitschland, she started a conversation.  The lady said they moved from Davenport a couple years ago.  Ain't that cool? 

++++++++++




Kids and Christmas.  Norah's pictorial on how to catch Santa.

1.  Get the bells out of the cellar. (Note:  Norah's house does not have a cellar.)

2.  Put the bells somewhere.

3.  Go to bed.

4.  He'll ring the bells and wake me up so that I can wrap my arms around him.


++++++++++




The current Mrs. Blythe took these pictures at her office Christmas party.  I wasn't invited.

++++++++++

Why dancing is a great spectator sport...only.

++++++++++


Tree is up. Bring it on, Santa.


++++++++++ 

I wonder what was going on in the world when Hollywood made It's A Wonderful Life, The Bishop's Wife, It Happened on 5th Avenue, and Miracle on 34th Street all in one year (1947)?

++++++++++





++++++++++


And finally,



Ayla and her early morning art doodles yesterday.

Look closer.  And then at her.


 
As one of my professors always said, "Everything is a phallic symbol."  Gee, I didn't start drawing dick pics till junior high.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant