Skip to main content

Marjie's Original Christmas Cards - Part 1

This series was first displayed about seven years ago.  It has become a bit of a tradition this time of year to honor my mother's creative bent.


++++++++++

As I have mentioned before my Mother made her own Christmas cards. I can still see her at the dining room table cutting, pasting, sprinkling and drawing her creations from scratch. I do not have all of the cards she made but I do have some of them and I will be featuring them the next couple of days.




Simple, colorful designs were her forte.  This early one was all pastel paint and a bit of sprinkle.



Another simple design that was painted.




Pictures were included every year to show the growth of the kids.  This first card must have been one of the first after Herb and Marj married, and that is Sandy, their cocker spaniel.


The second one here is when Phil was a newborn. 



I don't recall how many she would make from year to year, but I do remember seeing all of the materials lines up on the dining room table.  It was always quite a production.



Phil when he was perhaps 2 1/2?




A bit more involved with actual ribbon built into the card.



Three of us before we got Archie, our boxer mix that was a part of he family for pretty close to 18 years.  Mark, ever the trooper, displaying a small amount of boredom with the picture-taking.  Suck-up Phil is smiling nicely, and me, well, looking confused which would become a life-long natural pose. 



This must have been a reject or a prototype.  The deer has not been fleshed out via felt paper.   


The toothless twins.  Was Herb the fellow to the left of us we were supposed to focus on?  Even Archie seems mesmerized. 




Christmas time was a festive time in our house, as they are everywhere.  Marj really did it up well, coloring the front picture window in yuletide themes.  She usually flocked her trees  with white spray which was a fun and different artistic touch.  She also made life-size carolers out of pressed wood panels and placed outside with a spotlight.  Those carolers still are in my possession and during the later years at Chambers were displayed proudly with no touch ups or restoration.  They are at Mark's place now, awaiting my return.  Somehow the decades old patina added to the Spirit.  
  NEXT FRIDAY, MORE CARDS.

Comments

  1. Great cards. Oh my, reflections of the Christmas times of our misspent youth. Where did the time go my friend? Where?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant