Skip to main content

Peace Of My Mind




Look at a photograph, color or black and white, and they all look normal.  But look at the negative and it becomes almost indistinguishable.  It appears turned inside out - a collection of swirls and inverted colors that relate to nothing at all normal.  

Much like night.  Whizzbang, aka, Dumbstruck the Wonder Pup, aka, Ms. Whizzerton, aka, Whizzy is my companion on the early morning walks.  I used to do this solo, but find it more rewarding to let her go with me.  I allow for the sniffing, and exploration, and in return she keeps me informed and safe.   Night is the home of a different world - the negative to our daytime senses.

Journey with me to the night world.  Our walk is approximately 2 and 1/2 miles.  The first half is urban.  Roosevelt Avenue is a main artery and even at 4:00 am there is traffic.  Not a lot, but it is there.  We travel to never-closing 7-11 to 58th Street.  We turn right and head down and enter the rural, dark, with few street light portion of the walk.  It is the part I like best.  There is a wildness to the rest of the walk.  Three ponds, copses of trees, and sounds you'd never hear in the daytime.     






We were walking along a section of the block that is unlit and nestled against a pond, but you can't see it because of all the brush.  And then I hear this. 





0

Datsko Park is on our route and it is a low-level park.  No lights, A walking trail that is OK during the day but likely pretty spooky at night.  In fact, no one is allowed in the park when it gets dark.  I have seen a couple cars leave in the early hours, no doubt a tryst of sorts, but it is usually quite dark, and very abandoned.  So it was strange to see this enter the park.  

Turned out it was a mosquito spraying truck.  







The Army of the Night comes out looking for food or stuff that will help them survive another day. 





Life goes on, or not,  regardless of the time.







Things that make each walk worth doing:

        • I witnessed an extraordinary falling star/satellite one night.  It was slow moving that probably lasted up to 6 or 7 seconds.  The reason I say it might have been space junk is that it was blue in color, not the usual burning white.
        • I have seen what must have been a coyote or stray dog.
        •  I have been hooted at by a van travelling slowly and pulled into a drive - Whizz and I ran about 20 yards along a hedge to seek cover.
        • Just two days ago I walked into a spider web that kept growing the farther I walked.  It wasn't the usual one or two strands.  I was yelling and Whizz thought I was yelling at her.
        • I accidentally erased the video of a cell phone in an area that is full of bushes and an empty house.  You don't know creepy until you see a small phone light where there shouldn't be.  The Army of the Night is all over this area in the wee hours.  It is their time.
        • I saw a car on Roosevelt running on a rim - not slowly, and not a short distance. It was going down the road with no intention of stopping. Sparks were flying and the noise was surreal.






Life is teeming, night and day.  The most exciting thing is during the jungle portion of the walk all of my senses are at "high alert".  Now that's fun.  Kind of like being at the South Lagoon in Northlandia without the zombies.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant