Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

We have returned from Northlandia and back in the saddle and ready to prolong this project for a little longer.


++++++++++






I took this picture of my TV channel guide a day or two before I left for Northlandia.  No, not the Scorpion Kin...  The one above it.
You'd think someone would notice the problem.  And I don't have any idea what the actual name of the program is.  


++++++++++

                                                   



++++++++++






I met others in Northlandia who used to read this blog and have left because of the occasional political statement.  Therefore, I have decided to refrain from politics.  I met others on my trip that simply don't care about facts, failure or decay in our politics.  If a person  yells "Fire!" in a crowded theater and there actually is a fire, and nobody cares, then it is time to save yourself. 


++++++++++  








++++++++++






A few months ago I had a cyst on my back removed.  It was benign but annoying.  It also set off the TSA scanners whenever I went through security.  Little did I know my scanner alerts would continue in another area.  Last Wednesday when going through the Quad City security scanner, it alerted our intrepid TSA employees that my groin area was a potential national security threat.

Just as the guard looked over at another guy, he said, "Uh oh." I glanced over at the imaging screen and noticed a yellow area lit up on my junk.  I had a momentary feeling of pride but then I was corralled in front of other passengers and frisked.  I can't say it was an intrusive grope, but it was a bit embarrassing to be frisked in that area in front and back in front of everyone.  I put my best face forward and decided to exploit the moment with thoughts that for just a few moments anyway, my, er, package, was the most important potential threat at Quad City International.  

Some guy finished the inspection by taking what looked like a band aid and rubbed all over my hands and palms.  He then placed it in a scanner and it all came out OK.  I was sent on my way and proudly picked up my size 14 shoes off the conveyor belt.  I looked around at my fellow travelers with a bemused expression of, "yeah, uh- huh, that's right.  That's how we grow 'em in Seaton." 

What set it off?  I don't know.  Was it sweaty balls?  Or that metal cap they used on my 2nd vasectomy?  I don't know, but I'm getting my ticket soon for a return trip just for the free grope.


++++++++++    









++++++++++


Do I have this right?  Memorial Day is for all dead people.  Soldiers and Grannies.  Veteran's Day is for live service members?  



++++++++++

A funny thing happened on the way to getting pictures for you.  I went to one of my favorite Emerald City places to take night pictures.  The Country Club is nice and dark with no streetlights to muddy up the pics.  I was at the number 7 green area when I noticed a spotlight checking out my truck.  Being a good citizen I climbed back up the steep (very Steep) cart path to the west parking area.  As I suspected a police car was doing a building inspection and noticed my slightly rusting 23 year old Ranger with Florida plates.  He questioned me and why I was there.  I explained I was from Florida, visiting my very well-known brother, Mark Blythe, Wombie to his friends, and that I was taking pictures of the Milky Way.

Officer Lewis told me I had to leave because I was trespassing.  I asked if I could finish my picture taking.  Frankly, this was the first clear-sky night and there was no guarantee I'd get any more.  He replied with perhaps a little exasperation by saying, No.  You. Are. Trespassing."  He told me I would need to get the owner's permission.  Having been associated with this place all my life I knew there was no "owner".  It is a member association.  There may be a president or board, but there is no owner.  But I decided it wasn't worth getting belligerent (see, sometimes I reason things quite nicely) and traipsed back down to retrieve my camera and tripod.  I'm sure he noticed my heavy breathing coming back up but to his credit as a lawman, remained on the scene until I had packed up and left. 

The next day I went to the Club President and he gave me a notice I am allowed on CC grounds at any time of day.  So there.  I'll see you in August, Mr. Law.

++++++++++

   


          

Taken from my seat whilst preparing to land at QC Airport on May 8.  



++++++++++






A fat. plump tree frog taking in the coolish temps of the North. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant