Skip to main content

Flashback Friday

Last week marked the 90th birthday of my mother.  It's been a while since she was with us so it kind of surprised me to think of her as that age, had she lived.  To commemorate that event I am posting these pictures of her as a girl and young lady.  



Posing prettily.  An only child, Marj was pampered and spoiled as a child,  and she readily admitted it. 



This is Marj with her grandfather, who, as I understand, she adored.  This would be her mother's dad.  I'm sorry to say that I do not know his name, but perhaps he was a Wustefeld, since that was Mona's maiden name.  




Another picture like the above.  Could this doll have been a birthday present?  



One of our responses to the kids when they wanted something back in the day was, "I want a pony."  Apparently Marj wanted a pony, too, and got one.  I have zero info on this picture so I don't know if this was hers to keep or just a one time ride.   She did admit to me that she was, for most of her life, spoiled and happy.  Being an only kid can do that to you.  But at least she knew it.    


I wonder who her friend on the left was?  




Marj is the cutie in the middle and her mother, Mona, is on the right.  Mona was a rather remarkable woman in her own right.  She was a survivor of some health problems but was a recipient of new medical procedures.  Some of the treatments were so radical and new that she was written up in some journals.  Mona died young at 61 of a brain aneurysm, unrelated to her past medical problems.  

As a side note, a Seaton neighbor, Dorothy Levine, was virtually the same age as Marj, separated only by about 4 days.   They exchanged the same birthday card for decades.  Dorothy celebrated her 90th birthday last weekend, and is doing well, and misses Marj.  So do we, Dorothy.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant