Skip to main content

Tidbit Tuesday

1.  Sister-in-law Holly sent this to me recently.  She shares my love of unusual obituary notices I got from mother Marj.  

From the Argus on December 18th, a certain Thomas Lindley, 71, of Silvis died December 17th.  

Thomas A. Lindley Jr., 71, of Silvis, died Friday, Dec. 13, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, Silvis.
A memorial visitation will be from 2 to 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20, at Schroder Mortuary, Silvis.
He was born Oct. 26, 1942, in Springfield, Ill.
Survivors include his wife, Sammie; his sister, Louise Champlin; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, Col. Tom and M. Virginia Lindley; a sister, Pat Hickerson; and a niece, Cheryl Nichols.
"He lived, what more can be said. He died what more do we know than he's dead."
Online condolences may be sent to the family at schrodermortuary.com.

I'm not sure if that is stellar profundity or colossal lack of imagination.

2.  For you Bodine-DILLIGAF fans out there, I have it on high authority that the writer, author and creative brains behind that blog (something this one sorely lacks) will be posting something everyday this year.  Consider that a literary piece of non-fattening chocolate that you can enjoy the whole year.   Can he really do it? I wouldn't bet against it, folks.  Gee, a post everyday from B-D, makes me giddy. Jeff is an amazing person.  

3. It has been chilly in Florida.  Closed all the windows the other day, and, if I'd known how, I would have turned on the heat just to take the chill out.   But I was a tough soldier and battled through it.   They call the current cold wave up north a polar vortex.  That must be when you slog through the old snow and it kind of crunches under your heels.  And trying to start a car when it has been outside all night and it is totally freezing, or polar vortexing, and you turn the key and the engine moans as it turns over slowly.  See, I remember what winter is like.  Brrr.  I'm chilling just thinking about it.   

4.  Before I leave you I thought of the Wombie as I retrieved my weekly allowance from the bank on Saturday.  Looks like we have a water break on South 34th.  This was early, around 5:30 AM so I suppose it could go unnoticed for awhile.  


Mark and his crack staff of one would be on this in nothing flat, of that I have no doubts.  The Wombie, a recipient of the 2010 Illinois Rural Water Manager's Award representing the city of Aledo tackles leaks like Sherlock tackled crime, with stealth, logic and limitless deduction.  Of course it helps to have an acoustic listening device but even better is this time-honored tool.



Come on down, Mark. Bring Watson, and fix this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant