Skip to main content

Flashback Friday

There is a melancholy that wafts through me every so often when I sit too long and reflect.  Here I am in Florida missing my friends, still, and wondering where I will end up.  The tug-of-war between my friends and family never really ceases.  It hits me when I wake up at night, assaults me throughout the day, and wrestles with my good humor when the sun starts to set.  Paraphrasing Karen Blixen's renowned first line in her book Out of Africa, I had a garage in Galesburg.

Let me introduce you to my garage back on Chambers Street.  It served as a shelter for my old cars during the week, then a banquet hall of sorts on Saturday.  It was, perhaps, one of the nicest garages in town.  Urinal, map of Mercer County, accent lighting, cable TV, neon lights, fully stocked bar with bar stools, fridge, heat,  karaoke machine, and if you stepped outside for fresh air you could sit at the lighted fish pond with up to 25 koi.      



I'm not sure what the occasion was or what was going on, but here is Stewart giving an always informative and I'm sure amusing dissertation.  The door you see in the background actually came from the old Mary Davis Home garage when it was torn down to make room for the addition.  How did I get it home?



Stewart is a biker, brainiac, fantasy baseball cohort, and wonderful guy.   We've ridden together out in the country, up to Boscobel, and Cassville Wisconsin.  We've ridden with Pick to places I didn't even know were on the map.  I must ride that ferry again that runs somewhere up there.  A cool boat.  



Who the hell is that peeking through the curtain at me taking a leak?  See, I built that phone booth one day to hide the urinal and to provide some privacy.  I think it came out well.  People autographed the walls and, sadly, the people who bought the house demanded we throw that in.  I should have said Hell, no.  Some of the saying s and writings were priceless, but I still put a price on it.  Dumbass me!



Here is John and Rich Junk apparently doing a serenade with the karaoke machine.  Love the tiara Rich.



My garage/banquet room.  



We partied all the time out here.  When grandkidling Michael was living with us he and I would run out at get some more kerosene for the heater.  Each trip signified fun times were happening or going to happen.  My good friend John Gerdes built the bar and it was a great great piece of work.  He made it so it was rounded at the other end not squared like most bars.  We put padded armrests on it too.  This was where I'd crank up Meat Loaf to almost nobodies delight.  It was where we'd come to relax or have a family conference. It was where we celebrated Brendan's Army leaves and he'd have his buddies over.  It was where Kenzie would entertain her friends as well.



See the Lowenbrau lit sign to the right?  We specialized in Slippery Nipples at the bar.  Always had the ingredients and often the house would spring for everyone.  The large light just above John in the corner was a light at the Seaton ball diamond that I restored.  I spotted it in a junk pile after they put new lights up.  It was one that lighted the ball diamond when I was playing in Jr. high and high school.    


For a time I had it all.  Things change.  You do what you think is best at the time and keep your fingers crossed.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.  There are melancholies you can live with and there are those that will forever stain your heart.  Life isn't an event, it's a process.  It also isn't always Facebook-happy. Fluid, and flowing.  You do what you think is best at the time, with what information you have and then you roll the dice.  You roll the dice.  I decided to chuck it all for my family.  Looking back I might do a few things differently, but that's the hindsight that knows it all.  I would not have traded the last couple of years for anything, however.  I have seen things, done things that I would never have done or felt I was missing if I had stayed in BFE.  

The last post of the blog hasn't been written yet*, so time will tell where this somewhat lost kid will end up.  Here, I yearn for home up North.  Up North I yearn for home in Florida.  I'm a complex little Pirate.  Only time will tell.

I had a garage in Galesburg.

* Actually, the last post has been written.  It is the Doomsday post.  It will be published on the blog at some point down the road after I am no longer posting.  I keep moving the date back in the queue.  Hey, even the Sopranos had a series finale.  Such as it was.

Comments

  1. A good friend once told me that if he didn't try this, he would spend the rest of his life not knowing. Made sense to me and I supported his deceision.

    If I was given an opportunity to support again, I would tell my friend; Life is a drive, spend more time looking out the wind shield than looking in the rear view mirror. Better to see where you're going, rather than where you have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh and cry all at the same time! :) I think you answered your own question within the blog saying that you wouldn't trade the last two years for anything. Life is a journey. Period. And the one thing you can count is that things will change. The destination, unfortunately, is one we will all get to. You still have it all. It's just not all in one place. Poor Karen Blixen, on the other hand, not only lost her beloved farm, but her beloved Denys, and her health. In "Seven Gothic Tales," she said, "The cure for anything is salt water; sweat, tears, or the sea."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant