Skip to main content

This And That, Again

1.  Because life isn't sucky enough.  Guess I've reached the age where we undergo things we'd never dreamed of doing in our twenties.  The bad news from my latest Vet appointment was guess I'll drink some kind of liquefied chalk serum all day, sit on the toilet, then throw the legs up so some stranger can insert something in my ass. Sound fun?  Never done this little procedure before. Now, if they just let me take my camera in with me, this could be a hell of a post.   I suggested we do it in the Fall.  He wanted Summer.  I joked.  He got serious.  Guess I'll schedule a screening and see what happens. 


The good news was that all my numbers look so good, I may live forever.  So far, so good.  Not only that, but I only have to go in once a year instead of twice, which I have been doing since they put me on some pill back in G-Burg.  

2.




Water water everywhere.  This was taken as I was cruising around town on the bike and exploring places I've never been.  There are all kinds of small neighborhood parks sometimes with neat observation piers.  


3.  

Cruise ships lined up in Tampa.  Some great friends from BFE were down and we talked about a cruise and it sure sounded fun.  I signed up to go on one of these, and like the complex little pirate I am,  now I'm not too sure I want to go.  It sounded easier when it was leaving Tampa, but it was changed to Miami.  I don't do Miami.  I get all nervous over stuff like this. Too much hassle, too many people, too many questions, too much pressure to be an engaging conversationalist.  As anyone who knows me can attest: I am not engaging.  And I will be solo while the others will be couples.  Anyway, it is in September.  Lots of time to mull, fester, twist and over think.  Bet I go, though.  Can't let my buddies down.  As long as they hold my hand through it all I'll be OK, I guess.  Sure hope the ship isn't broken.

4.


I think I mentioned my old fireplace in G-Burg in a post a couple weeks ago.  Ran  across this picture of the family cat enjoying its warmth.  I'd get down on the floor in front of it and just bathe in the sounds and feel of a real fire.  The occasional hissing sounds, pops and colors.  On wintry nights it was a special joy. I wonder if I'll ever experience it again?  Sure hope so.  Nothing quite like it.   

5.   



Static electricity is fun and funny.  Norah, my little lightening bug.

6.  


That lonely vulnerable period of time from when you are naked and put that goddawful gown on and the time your doctor shows up.  Yes, that's me.  Awaiting an inspection and recitation of numbers.  My doctor is a droll fellow named Springle (pronounced Spring-lee).  Witty fellow.  In a few minutes he would enter and tell me I look good on paper.  (Ba-dum-dum) A little later he would say that I was to get dressed and go down the hallway and await a test on whether I had blood in my stool.  When I would ask him when that test was going to be done, he would lower his voice and say, "I just did.  Remember, I put my finger up your ass.  Next time pay attention."

7.  This is a short video of Norah having an Oreo.  The style in which one eats an Oreo has long divided parents and scientists.  Is it individual choice or parental influence?  This vid seems to suggest that parental instruction is a prime motivator.  Her mother said this was how she taught Norah to do it.  Finally, the age-old question has been answered.  Look how she has to think it all out.  And see how she turns the wafer over just before she sets it on the ground?  Why?  Oh the inscrutable mind of a child.  





8.


Every time I see a firetruck I think of Rick McCutcheon from BFE.  Rick not only is one of North Henderson's dedicated volunteer firemen, but he builds the things at Alexis Fire Equipment.  Rick and Jen also helped me get the place in Henderson ready for habitation last year.  They are also lined up for the cruise in September.  Nice guys and great family.   Rick also had a Suzuki Boulevard but went over to the dark side and got a Harley.  He loves it though and that's what counts.


9.


The camera has a timer doo-hinky and so I set it on the railing and it took me looking pensive and senior-chic over a windy, cold day a couple weeks ago.  Temperatures fell to the 50's and with the wind chill made for a cold day even with a hoody.

10.



Sand drifts just like snow if it is windy enough.  Take a walk on the beach in the wind and you can get a free dermabrasion.  

11.  You may have read that 2013 is going to be a fine year for comets.  You might also have read that I enjoyed (back in my G-Burg days) heading out into a place near Alexis to view celestial wonders.  This is where Haley-Bopp disappointed but Kahoutek didn't.  Remember that blog two days ago?  Problem with me in an area of extreme darkness in the middle of nowhere is that I would invariably spook myself so that I spent as much time watching my back as I did the sky.  Damn imagination.  Geez, and a grown adult at that!  Anyway I have been combing the landscape down here hoping to catch the PANSTARR Comet so that I could bedazzle you with something fun and exciting.  


PANSTARR is the bright object in the center.  

I'll post more pictures in a few days.  Until then, enjoy this one I took on March 13th.  This rather small comet will be around a few more days and they say ISON could be a Great Comet which would be large and bright for a few weeks next November and December.  After I wrote the above, I went back out to search for PANSTARR again, and believe I got a great one which is NOT lit up by the sun like the above pic.  My mission here is finished.  Wait till you see it.  But, yes, you must wait.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant