Skip to main content

Flashback Friday



In another example of 'why beat a dead horse' (or dog) when you can flog it till your readers become comatose with boredom,
some pictures of Missy.  She passed away 4 years ago this week.  I have promised that this is her last memorial week post.  A buddy of mine in BFE told me last week to look out the windshield instead of the rear view mirror.  I have been doing a lot of that lately and I gotta shake the past and move on.  Move on.    





































                          “...As you got older you moved around more slowly.  Then,
                            one day, old age finally took its toll.  I knelt down and patted
                            you lying there, trying to make you young again.  You just 
                            looked up at me as if to say you were old and tired and after
                            all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me 
                            one last favor.
                            With tears in my eyes I drove you one last time to the vet.  One
                            last time you were lying next to me.
                            As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned 
                            your head and looked at me as if to say, “Thank you for
                            taking care of me.”
                            I thought, “No. Thank you for taking care of me.”
                           
                                                                                             Old Ann Landers Article
                                                                             

                             One last word of farewell, Dear Master.  Whenever you visit
                             my grave, say to yourself with regret but also happiness in 
                             your heart at the remembrance of my long happy life with you.
                             “Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved.”  No matter
                             how deep my sleep, I shall hear you, and not all the power
                             of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

                                                                                               Eugene O'Neill

                             
                              A friend stopped by the other day and he was feeling very 
                              blue.  “I had to put old Tuff down.” he explained.  “It broke 
                              my heart to do it.  I'll never forget the way he looked at me.
                              But it was time and I think he knew it.”
                                   “Tuff was a good dog,” I agreed.  “He lived a long time 
                              for sure.”  
                                   “Fifteen years,” he replied.  “Found him when he was a pup.
                              We had a lot of good times together.  I'm sure gonna miss that 
                              mutt.”
                                    It was a soulful tale, told from the heart and made me want
                              to cry; 'bout a man and his dog, an' best friends and parting, 
                              about having to say “good-bye”. 
                                    He wrapped old Tuff in a blanket, he said, and buried him
                               under a tree; on a hill overlooking a sunlit meadow, where
                               the wildflowers bloom in the spring.  
                                     Place became hallowed, a good dog lies here, 'though his
                               spirit still romps and plays; green be the grass above thee,
                               friend of my better days.  
                                      After a while he fell silent.  And so we sat quietly.  Lost in 
                               dreams of times gone by, of dogs and long summer days.      


Good bye, Missy, old friend, and thanks for being at my side always.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant