Skip to main content

Tidbit Tuesday

1.  Last Saturday was kind of a stormy day - no rain but high winds and some thunder and lightening.  I raced upstairs to grab my camera but ended up with the wrong lens.  I needed the one with a wide view.  


All I got was this short bolt that looks quite out of focus.  Oh, well.  
Practice, practice, practice.

2.  For those of you interested my three fantasy teams (and I would surmise that number only includes me) are in 2nd, 2nd, and 9th places.  The 9th place team started real slow but is slowly starting to improve.  We have won 2 out of the last 3 weeks.  

3.  I have begun preparation for another trip North.  No, I will not be taking the bike this time.  I have suffered permanent buttockal impairment, and while you may think that that would lessen the strains of long riding, it actually begins the onset quicker.  

4.  Speaking of trips, I have it on good authority that I will be taking a less strenuous trip on the bike in September to Louisiana.   Traveling with the Sutor's and meeting the Stage's in New Orleans whenever we get a firm date.  I am less interested in seeing the sights in town as much as I am riding out in the country.  That will surely be a beautiful ride.  

5.  
  
This week's Norah watch: performing one of the songs on her movie list.  

6.  I have started my 4th large painting since December, but the going is slow.  Heat has descended on Florida and the porch is like a sauna in the afternoon.  

7.  Odd News of the Week


Look at the above picture and what do you think?  Well, obviously it is the Nazi Youth giving the Heil Hitler salute at some function, right?  You would be wrong.  This is a group of young American children in Connecticut saluting the flag while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.  

As the kids started reciting the Pledge, they would place their right hands over their hearts and then bring their arms out, palms down in a salute.   

This was how it was done before Hitler.  After the German "Heil" became associated with the Nazis, the American Bellamy salute was dropped, and right hand over the heart became the norm.  


8.  That's all I've got today.  Keep cool wherever you are. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant