Skip to main content

Flashback Friday - Grad School Posse Part 2

We revisit once again the grad school days in Denver and my buddy Eddie Valverde.  Like I said in the previous post regarding these times,  I had some really nice friends to spend time with when I wasn't studying.  No snickers, because grad school did entail some intense study to ensure successful graduation.  

As a side note, as I type this message on Thursday,  June 25th, at 6:52 am, I just awoke from a sleep that included a dream/nightmare of a Logic paper due and unfinished.  Funny, isn't it, that school tests and homework still invade my head decades after it all became irrelevant.    

These Denver days were likely the least photographed of all.  I'm not really sure why, except that study here was pretty important and took up a lot of time.  Dr. Schmidt hardly ever thought my thesis was good enough so I'd go back and tinker, expand, and take it back a month later to seek approval.  Dr. Wilbanks would have a "Whiplash" like, in-class meltdown telling all of us to step up our work and performance.  But we tried to meet on weekends for fun or Jan and I would hop in the car and head out to Pike's Peak,  Red Rocks,  Golden, or cruise around town.  We all went to Wyoming once and I thought it a desolate other-world vista that was unlike anything I'd ever seen.      



Eddie and his little camera about to zero in on something. 




Me and my little trusty electric typewriter that served me well for several years of reports and term papers. It's last assignment was to type my Master's Thesis, "Civil Theology in the American".   Dr. Schmidt finally signed off on it and it is now bound and amongst all the other thesis' written at the school in the Ira J. Taylor Library.  One of these days I'll travel back to campus and the library and ask for it at the reference desk.   

See that ring on my hand?  That's my high school class ring that I lost in a vat of meatloaf at the Mary Davis Home when I would start there a few months after this picture was taken.  



Looks like Eddie is reading my report and finding it lacking in serious content.  Hmph.  Everyone's a critic.  





Is this Eddie signaling my impending hanging by the school's academic standards?  Fleas?  An Hispanic sign about Midwestern hick gringo's?  Nope, this was a hoi-paloi sign we used regarding other's pretentiousness.





Apparently someone wanted to take our pictures so we posed, it looks like, somewhat reluctantly.  This was my phase of wearing bib overalls, and, oddly, as I remember, was somewhat popular.  Eddie was a gentle kid who laughed as easily as anyone I ever knew.  Not at all like the menacing figure he appears above.    

Happily, once graduated, I headed back home.  Sadly, however, I didn't keep up any correspondence with my compadres and they drifted into my history as "past tense".  Eddie, the Calhoun boys, Jan and the others remain young in my mind's eye and photos, whilst my mirror reveals the real truth: time marches on, rapidly.  Denver must have been like military service - tough character builder and not sure I'd do it over, but eternally grateful for the friends around me that made it all worthwhile.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant