Skip to main content

A Walk In Northlandia

You've seen some of my walk route at Bedlam.  I take the Route 19 frontage road up to East Bay, then turn left all the way to Belcher, then down to Ulmerton and back up to Bedlam for my just short of 10,000 steps.  There is never-ending traffic, ceaseless noise, things to look at, sirens blaring and often lost coins along the way.  

Now see where I walk in Northlandia.
  



 This stretch of the walk is disarming.  Absolute quiet -save for the occasional breeze rustling whatever is there to rustle.  I'd forgotten how deadly silent it is in the country, or just never realized it.  The birds chirping is about all that makes any discernible noise. 





Also along this country road is a house in somewhat poor condition.  Every time I go by there is no sign of life.  No observable yard work besides the mowing.  To the left of the house is a very deep ravine full of undergrowth and what looks like a small pond some ways away.  While walking once I glanced through the leaves and was startled by what looked like someone standing.  Then it looked like they were tied to a post.  Then my Blair Witch irrational gene kicked in and I started to get "weirded out".  OK, so it must be a scarecrow.  Having never seen one I'm sure I can get excused for being confused at first.  No pass, however, for the over zealous imagination.  It was 10 in the morning.     

But then I saw this as I was walking away.


A voice in my head said, keep walking old man.  Don't look back.   



I have no idea what this used to be when it was alive.  A small deer perhaps?  A large bird.  It's hard to see but that is a ribcage.  Nature is tough; in the next few days, this morphed into something else. As long as we are discussing this, I am also amazed at the amount of road kill I have to step around out here.  Granted, this is a major country road north of Emerald City, but still, I have seen very little for a while and even when I lived up here I didn't walk the paved country roads much.  Hope you aren't reading this over breakfast.




All in all quite a different view on things in Northlandia.  Floriduh is not without its pleasures, but besides the occasional penny the North is more in tune with nature, with all its brutality and beauty.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant