Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits


Christmas Eve shot from the Causeway looking over to Tampa.  iPhone picture so its not great, or even good for that matter.  But I hopped in the Pathfinder and wanted to go somewhere.  One resolution put into action.

++++++++++


Thought you'd like to see a bug.  Florida is full of them.  All year round.  Big bugs, small bugs.  Long bugs, short bugs.  Colorful bugs, dull bugs.  Some bugs have motors.  Most don't.  Was that a cockroach that just slithered under my scales?  

++++++++++



I used a slide rule in a class in high school.  It occurred to me that that must have been a bit like the image we all been taught of a monkey and a typewriter beating out War And Peace, given enough time.  Frankly, I think our education system needs reformed.  I don't know what they are doing these days but Algebra is a waste of time for those not interested in the sciences.  Better to have school be more college prep than to have mandatory subjects that are a waste of time and do not move you toward your desired field.

++++++++++



I spent last Saturday morning at the vet's office.  The current Mrs. Blythe has a cat that got sick.  I thought it was going to die but it didn't.  Anyway, I took this picture of a confrontation in the lobby.

++++++++++  



Rash Update

Last week I displayed a picture of me and a rash that covered my torso and arms.  It is much better and thought I'd post a picture of how I look now.  

++++++++++


I have been watching, off and on, Twilight Zone marathons on the SyFy channel on New Years Day.  Its OK,  real treasures, but some are really hit-or-miss and this is a long-standing tradition on that channel, so its lost a bit of its fascination.  I'd like to recommend a rebirth of something I think AMC did a few years ago.  Let's have a Three Stooges marathon next year.  Even include the non-Curley Curley's just so we have a point of reference for one of the greatest comedians in entertainment history.  Nothing is better than these guys.

++++++++++

How cool would it be if I entered the Rhubarb Days 5K run in June?  I gotta tell you, I'd love to do it.  I'm in training right now: I run after a kid all day.  What's 3.1 miles when you are running down an 18 month old from 7 to 5? 


This is when I ran it back when.  What's changed?  I'm still all muscle, gristle and wildcat.  

++++++++++

Did you Know?  A couple of weeks before the 1968 election between Humphrey and Nixon, LBJ announced a cease fire was imminent in the Vietnamese War.  Nixon then went behind the government's back and informed the South Vietnamese leadership to NOT accept any ceasefire.  That they could get a better deal if they held out.  Nixon had been promising he could end the war and didn't want his chances for election jeopardized.  South Vietnam went on to turn down the ceasefire resulting in Nixon getting elected and the war continuing for another 5 years.  Total American deaths in those last five years was 21, 134. 

++++++++++


In one of my very best gutter hunts in a long while, I found these by the side of the road on my walks with Alfred to Burger King this past week.  Lots of road rash but still legal tender.  I'd love to know the story of how they get there.  It has been a long dry spell so very pleased to start the new year getting richer.  These crazy Floridians.

++++++++++

As Alfred and I were crossing an entry into Wal-Mart after our daily Burger King run, a driver of a truck who was waiting for us yelled at me, "You go Grampa!"

++++++++++

I usually like the playoffs.  This past weekend were full of dud games.   The Wombie won the first week's Playoff Lotto.  

++++++++++

Sully and Don't Breathe weren't bad, but it seems like forever since I've seen a really good one.  

++++++++++


This cute, sad 4 year old girl almost made Waterboard her new home.  Sadly, by the time I grabbed Kenzie for her opinion, she was adopted by someone else.  Kenzie's opinion is important because she found Missy for me.  

++++++++++

It has been chilly down here.  I don't expect any benefits to help me raise funds for heating.  And since I miss the North I am loving it.  It also gives me a chance to wear jeans and put those damn shorts away, if only for a few days.  The forecast is that it is short-lived and the temps will be back in the upper 70's in a few days. 

++++++++++

I suppose having a heart isn't the most important thing about a president.  I'd like to think they all have one and and that somewhere, sometime it may come into play.  No, I reckon ruling with great wisdom is my number one consideration.  But Trump's firing the Inauguration announcer who has had the gig for 60 years strikes me as particularly heartless.  

++++++++++

Having an electric blanket on your bed in Florida is kind of stupid.  But there it is.  Some things I refuse to give up.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant