Skip to main content

Flashback Friday


This was saved from a flood in North Henderson that also wiped out other old family photos.  It took other heirlooms like my grandmother's wedding dress.  It was a disaster.  Several large garbage bags full of ruined things were put out for the dump.  basements suck.  Thank goodness the Cabin in the Woods does not have one.  I'm so done with them.  

This isn't necessarily a Public Service Announcement, but with spring on its way we can expect rain and the inevitable basement water.  Take care of your things so you don't lose precious memories.  My stuff was stacked in plastic containers and once the water rose the totes tipped and water seeped in.  I didn't check as soon as I should have and by the time I did, the items, photos and keepsakes were in unsalvageable condition.  Maybe its just as well I have forgotten what had to be tossed or I would be doubly saddened all over again.  

Poor Wombie, almost completely obliterated.  Positioning is everything.  I survived because I chose to be to the left of Phil  (a situation that I am positive still exists).  What?  You expected me to pass on a political joke?  By the way, white belts are coming back.  Saw one the other day somewhere. 

Anyway, Marj and one of her front step photographs.  We would all troop bravely yet somewhat sullenly to the appointed stop and let her snap away.  Funny, there aren't many early day-in-the-life kind of photos; the only time she got out her old Kodak Brownie was on special occasions.  Not sure what the above occasion was but a good guess would be a fall visit from all of us from college that year we all students at IWC.  This would have been a tough time for Marj - she would have been alone for the first time.  Empty nest and all.  This was also a time when she would have thought my second semester would have been in jeopardy.  But that's another story for another day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant