Skip to main content

A Walk Around Bedlam - 2


We now continue our walk around Bedlam.



Remember our little hairy thing laying along the sidewalk?  Well,  a little further down and you come to a place called Angels - A Gentleman's Club.  

                     

Girls Girls Girls!, so says the sign.  Maybe that's where our little furry thing came from. A sign says it is also a Hookah Club, whatever that is.  I'm not sure I'll ever stop in, but, hey, a girl's got to make a living, right? 



They have gas and convenience stores down here called Wawa.  Silly name, but I guess it is Native American for a type of duck.  The company hails from Minnesota and it's making quite the headway down here.  All of a sudden they are all over the place  and we are the better for it.  in the Minnesota area.  Convenience stores and gas-up are usual along the lines of a necessary drudge.  Not so Wawa.  They have an in-house sandwich and sub shop, clean place, lotto machines, low prices.  


I'm now on Roosevelt Boulevard, a major thoroughfare around these parts.  Bus stop, a Cheddar's, McDonald's,  the usual stuff.  A guy approaches on a bike asking to use my phone.  I say OK and then I start worrying he'll hop on his bike and take off with it, or put some kind of bug on it and zap my ID.  It's a city thing.  Note to self:  don't do it again.  Another guy approaches obviously in an animated conversation on his phone (the guy on the bike should have asked this guy.) As he walks by I hear him say, "…have her bring my clothes and a blunt."  

Finally a couple kids who look like they should be in school approach and I say "Good Morning".   I do this to people I meet because down here no one says anything to folks you pass on the sidewalk and it freaks them out when you do.  It's a Midwestern thing.  They kind of smile and say good morning.  



On the west side of Bedlam is a long stretch that is mostly grass path and spotty sidewalk.  Florida is high on the national list of pedestrian deaths.  Here you can see one of the reasons why. 






PTEC - Pinellas Technical Center, tech school, really takes up most of this stretch.  I see this nice looking old car in the parking lot.  It is a Mercury Monarch, and upscale compact luxury car to the Ford Granada.  They made millions of these style cars from 75-80 and were for the most part boxy uninspiring cars people tend to hate back then.  But you have to hand it to the owners of this one, its really in great shape.  Wouldn't want one, wouldn't have one, but old is old and this is a nice example of what passed for 70's luxury when everything was downsized due to the energy crisis of the time.



Sometime you are rolling along feeling in safe on a good old sidewalk when before you know it, you run into a roadblock.  



I turn the corner and head for the last leg of my walk and return to Bedlam.  Here is the Oak Park trailer court.  There are 4 trailers by my count, no oak trees and 5 semi trailers parked on the grounds. 


Last few yards before I turn myself in and I see this.  Class is class wherever you find it. And believe me, Florida is real class.  Why bother with expensive stickers when spray paint will do just as well.  For once the open gate looked inviting.  Let Me In!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant