Skip to main content

Flashback Friday


Today's Flashback focuses on a couple characters we have met before on the blog.  The swarthy dark terrorist looking fellow below is the Wombie, aka Aquaman, who is providing a comfy pillow to family dog, Magic, who we met formally a few weeks ago on the August 29th post.  


At that time I showcased a painting I did over 30 years ago for Marj.  I thought you might like to see her in person, and the Wombie has provided a secondary reason since he is closing in on his retirement as Aquaman in Aledo.    



Written on the back of this picture is "Aug '76" so Mark would have been working in Orion at this time in the water department and I was enjoying a summer working for Uncle Ed before heading back to my second year of grad school in Denver.  Maybe we had finished playing a ballgame for the Seaton Church League team.  

The Wombie hasn't changed all that much - perhaps a bit more around the middle, less hair but still a beard, maybe a little older looking.  Meanwhile, I have appeared to defy the aging process whilst probably prettier than in my youth. I notice the finger splint, perhaps an industrial accident?   I'll have to ask next time I talk to him.  

Magic died sometime between this picture and the painting 6 years later.  She was a Hell of a good dog, we were lucky, we had two great ones growing up.  Archie before her, magic was a feisty pup who liked to scoot around with some encouragement and hand clapping.  She hated Bill Greer down at his gas station when he would wash the windows when gassing up.  Never saw a dog so intent on getting that hand and towel.  She'd be all over the front then move to the back when Bill took care of that window, too.  I think maybe he egged her on a little, but still, it was just one of those quirks that all dogs have.   If "a faithful and loving companion" is the hallmark of a great pooch, then we had two.  Lucky, lucky boys.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant