Skip to main content

Bushnell, Rain and The Knoxville Cruise-In

The one thing I absolutely had to do while in Northlandia was to attend the Bushnell Days Car Show.  Always one of the very best shows, it is unique in several ways.  First, it coincides with their big day as a town complete with blocked off streets, lots of vendors, a tractor show and parade, and a great place to have lunch.  

But the car show itself is unique in that it is an unbiased, totally judged show.  They have a judge (or judges) inspect each entry and they have a form that they place a number to from 0 to 10.  Categories are paint, brightwork, interior, underbody, engine area, trunk, and so on.  There are 10 categories for a total number of points awardable is 100.  Oddly, other owners shy away from this show because it takes them out of their comfort zone, the good-ole-buddy, I'll vote for you if you vote for me kind of thing.







The above videos were taken on the morning of my last day in Northlandia and the day of the Bushnell car show.  Needless to say, it rained most of the morning and around time for the last call for entries, the sun came out.  I should tell you if you are unaware: you don't run cars in the rain, or wash them with water.  You use waterless wash and usually just do a good dusting and spot detail for shows.  Water causes rust, rust causes bubbles, bubbles cause new expensive paint jobs after an extensive rust removal body repair.  

But not all was lost.  That afternoon and evening was the Knoxville Cruise-In, and since that's where I was staying that leg of the trip, I decided to take Miss Frump.   





Cars start lining the streets early in Knoxville.  



I parked The Frump across from the forestation because I wasn't going to stay long, what with an early morning flight back to Bedlam.   And, yes, most the folks checked out the orange muscle car parked next to me, instead of her, but they are so darn popular.  Honestly, anymore that's about all you see, and I've never been a big muscle car guy, not even when they were new.   


The big news of the night was that as I was just glancing around, this sleek black car pulled into the main park area and it sure looked like an 880.  Now, keep in mind that I buy cars I will never run into at shows, and now, with the Frump being perhaps second most rare I've had, and there is another 880.

I couldn't walk fats enough, and sure bough, this was a 1962 Dodge 
880 and Miss Frump is a 1963 model.  Different front end, and different badging, and yes, this was a convertible, but still, they are sisters and I had a fun time talking to her owner.  She had a few blemishes and the interior wasn't as nice as the Frumps, but her value is light years from Frump's, as a convertible model is very very rare.  

My time in Northlandia, with the Frump, my friends and family had come to an end.  It was a fun time and I count the seconds till my return. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant