Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits


It's nice to be back at the Cabin.  Yeah, Perry Mason and Roy Rogers are on TV so the fake news or Mainstream Media will have to continue without me for awhile, but the quiet is nice, too.   

I have a nice stand of dandelions that will need mowed a second time again soon. 

Like a Mayan who first comes in contact with a Spaniard, I have caught a cold.  Hopefully I can avoid the Mayan fate. 



++++++++++




A big, tough samurai once went to see a little monk.
“Monk!”
He barked, in a voice accustomed to instant obedience:
“Teach me about heaven and hell!”
The monk looked up at the mighty warrior, and replied with utter disdain:
“Teach you about heaven and hell? I couldn’t teach you about anything. You’re dumb. You’re dirty. You’re a disgrace, an embarrassment to the samurai class. Get out of my sight. I can’t stand you.”
The samurai got furious. He shook, red in the face, speechless with rage. He pulled out his sword, and prepared to slay the monk. Looking straight into the samurai’s eyes, the monk said softly:
“That’s hell.”
The samurai froze, realizing the compassion of the monk who had risked his life to show him hell! He put down his sword and fell to his knees, filled with gratitude. The monk said softly: 
“And that’s heaven.”
++++++++++



When I arrived and settled in I went to all the rooms to see that everything was OK.  When I reached the bedroom this is what I discovered.  After emitting a short but heartfelt scream I decided to climb in and snuggle up.  Yes, it's Michael.  He didn't mind.

++++++++++



My junior pedicurist giving me a nice traditional pre-trip make-over.

++++++++++


Reports from Kitschland reveal a pretty upset and confused babysitting client. I'll try to get back as soon as possible, Alf.  Hang in there.

++++++++++ 



My days start this way.  Southern Butter Pecan creamer.  Just enough to cut the bitterness. perfect beginning.

++++++++++



On an early week road trip the Wombie stopped for this guy somewhere south of Illinois City. who was warming itself on the road.  I may hate snakes more than cats but I insisted that we shush it to the side so it wouldn't get run over.  I know you aren't supposed to mention it, but that should be worth something in my karma jar.

++++++++++

Last winter while up here my kitchen clock stopped.  I put a battery in it I had n my junk drawer and nothing.  Pulled out a new one I'd gotten at Ikea in Tampa and it didn't work either.  I junked them both.  

It was on my list of things to get so while at the local Wal-Mart (yeah, boycott over) I picked one up.  Got it home and it didn't work either.  Went back and told them I'd brought my battery and I'd try a couple to see if I could find one that worked.  After trying 4 and having 4 not working I bagged it and caused quite a stir at Wal-Mart customer service for the apparent mass bad clock devices.  

Mrs. Wombie gave me a new battery, tried one and it worked fine.  Oops. Sorry, China.  Sorry Wal-Mart.  My bad.


++++++++++





Alfred strutting her stuff.  What a badass.
++++++++++










During one of my early Largo walks I heard the spring serenade of frogs/toads across the road at the park.  When we had all those ponds in the back yard on Chambers Street in G-Burg, the spring frog nightly concerts would be deafening.  It would go on for a few weeks and was one of the memories of Spring I have, that and lilacs.  It was wonderful.  I miss it. 


++++++++++




Here is Alfred learning the nuance of bubble blowing.  Baby steps.


++++++++++

So far since I've been in Northlandia I have been involved in a motorcycle scavenger hunt, a funeral, a car show, a couple times over=consumpting adult beverages, tried to capture a meteor shower, mowed twice, and ran into a snake.  Not bad for a couple weeks work.  Approximately 20 days to go - ah Northlandia. 

And if that isn't enough...


I just registered for the Rhubarb Days 5K run on June 2nd.  My only reason is bragging rights, and my only goal is to finish(upright).  I ran this thing probably a dozen years ago and I figure this is it for me.  This will be my third 5K and last.  Guess I better get training for it.  Beer and ice cream in relative moderation, Bloody Marys  in excess for the vegetable protein, and early morning and afternoon walks/jogs.  What a dork.

Stupid old man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant